Google

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Parenting???

Parenting is probably one of the hardest jobs out there. It is such a delicate balance between being the teacher and being the friend. Someone they can learn from and feel boundries from but also someone they trust and have fun with.

Right now I have 4 kids. Girl age 7, Boy age 5, Girl age 2 and Boy age 9 months. And yes, I am busy! I also work with a youth group of girls ages 16-18 and on occasion a larger group of boys and girls ages 12-18. Hopefully some of the tidbits I have learned will be helpful to someone out there.

Most of my ideas will pertain to the younger age, as that is who I am dealing with mostly. As for my most recient adventure, I have started a summer camp at our house. It goes for one week. During this camp my kids will practice routines like making their bed everyday and getting dressed everyday. (I don't know why it is such a hard concept to put clothes on each day) They will also learn new life skills. For example my 7 year old is going to learn how to make phone calls. Yes I am crazy to start my GIRL making phone calls at age 7, but it is a good life skill I want her to have if I am dying and need her to call 911!

We will also be doing some fun things. We will make a craft each day, and also do a camp activity like roasting marshmallows and making s'mores. Hopefully this will be a week where I can teach them some important things while having some fun so the important stuff doesn't seem so boring!

One other idea I just came across pertaining to camp is to do it with a group of people and have one assigned day that you are in charge of. That way the kids will have friends to be with and you only have one or two days of work!

1 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Ted and Hilery said...

Brandy,
I am glad to see you have a blog. Keep posting! I definetely like parenting tips!

Hilery

 

Post a Comment

<< Home